Tuesday, December 28, 2010

MUSICAL THEATER FACT OF THE DAY! (MEMPHIS)

MEMPHIS
A new musical that won the Tony for Best Musical this year, and it is still on Broadway right now.  Set in the 1950's of MEMPHIS Tennessee, the show combines the worlds of Racism, Romance, and a love of music.  I have never seen the entire show, but I saw the cast perform at the Tony Awards, and I knew I had to get the cast recording. The music really is really catchy and moving, and the storyline is really powerful.
Book is by Joe DiPietro
Music is by David Bryan
Lyrics by Joe DiPietro and David Bryan

I also have a personal connection to the show, as I had the opportunity to work with the leading lady MONTEGO GLOVER during a production of GUYS AND DOLLS two summers ago, because I was in the costume department for the show. So if you have the chance to see it, I highly recommend it. I know I intend to see as soon I can  ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment