Tuesday, January 11, 2011

GREAT ROLES PERFORMERS WITH DIVERSE ETHNIC BACKROUNDS

As a performer from a diverse ethnic background, I constantly have to be thinking about roles that are geared more toward African American Females. So I have to decided to discuss some shows and roles that are particularly good for performers with diverse ethic backgrounds to audition for.  As well as shows that I would personally love to get cast in :D

DREAMGIRLS:   A FANTASTIC show for African American performers to get the opportunity to shine.  One of my goals in life is to play EFFIE WHITE  (the lead).  This is one of the few shows with a really meaty leading role created SPECIFICALLY for an African American Woman
 
THE WIZ:  Another great show that can be used to showcase a plethora of different ethnicity's. The role of DOROTHY is also another fantastic female role that is geared toward African American Women.

HAIRSPRAY:  A show that is very close to my heart,  as it is the first major Musical that I ever saw performed live.   It also sends a very strong message about people of different sizes, shapes, and colors coming together as ONE <3 :D.  I would LOVE to play MOTORMOUTH MAYBELL in the future.  There is also a chorus of three women in the show that are usually African American, that I would love to be a part of.

WICKED:    Another dream of  mine is to eventually perform in WICKED. Why, you ask? For starters it has a powerhouse female character who is always covered in GREEN PAINT! So does it matter what color her skin is underneath? I would say not. Also, the show requires a large amount of chorus people in which there in a lot freedom to cast people of lots of different, shapes, sizes, and colors  : )
 
ALL SHOOK UP:   A show about falling in love and following your dreams, to the timeless tunes of ELVIS.  It is a show that requires a large cast filled with heart, fun, and power house voices. There is a lot of freedom to play around with ethnic variety in the cast. ( Again, another show I would LOVE to be in!)

IN THE HEIGHTS:  It's epic, edgy, fun, up beat, and set in a urban part of NY. Enough said!

RENT:   Fantastic, moving, BOLD! I wanna play JOANNE OR MIMI someday VERY BADLY. The cast of this show is also so bold, colorful, and full of variety :D

LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS:  What more can I saw about this show? Other than that the music is extremely catchy, and it is SO CUTE and TWISTED at the SAME TIME, lol.  Well, I also love the chorus of the three soulful divas in that are in it,often called  THE RONETTS. They get to wear roller skates, as they open the show! :D ( typically African American, though I have seen them played by women of different ethnic backgrounds).

No comments:

Post a Comment