STEVEN SATER (who worked on Books and Lyrics for SPRING AWAKENING) is back at it again! He joined together with BURT BACHARACH to create a new Musical called THE GIFT OF THE MAGI which is current being workshoped in LA. Iincluded in this workshop are two former member of the touring cast of SPRING AWAKENING (KRISTY ATAMORE who played Wendla, and KYLE RIABKO who played Melchior). Now, being a person who has seen SPRING AWAKENING while on tour twice and listened to the original cast recording numerous times, I can attest to the complete GENIUS that SATER is. SPRING AWAKENING is and edgy, romantic, poetic, captivating show with characters that young people can really relate to. Even the music speaks to you on an intense level that is not common for most musicals. Therefore it will be interesting to see what he brings to THE GIFT OF THE MAGI. From the sounds of it the show, is going to be full of romance and beautiful piano music. Sounds like a WINNER to me! I bet it will go far : ). To read more about THE GIFT OF THE MAGI go to Playbill.com.
In other news, a Live Musical version of Disney's ALADDIN is set to open in SEATTLE this summer! I have nothing but great things about live Disney Musicals, even though I have never really seen one live before. However I do look forward to seeing Disney's MARY POPPINS in March!, as I am supposed to Usher for the show when it tours through town. I also hope the future to get to see ALADDIN once it hits the big time ;)
Another exciting bit of news is that DANIEL RADCLIFFE (HARRY POTTER!) will be starring in a production of HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING that will be opening on BROADWAY next month! I had know idea that he musical talent! So for me, this is a must see! I am thinking summer( or maybe even Spring break?) road trip to NY to see this, as I am SURE it will still be running :). RADCLIFFE is just full of surprises, I mean I know he starred in the play EQUUIS a while back, and had to be nude of stage, that was surprising enough, but I would have NEVER expected him to go from HARRY POTTER to BROADWAY STAR! But hey, more power to him! :D
MUSICAL MOVIE NEWS:
AMERICAN IDIOT and IN THE HEIGHTS are both in talks to be filmed! Pretty fantastic aye!?
No comments:
Post a Comment