Welcome to the life of a young lady who's life and heart belongs to the arts.
Thursday, January 13, 2011
AN INTERESTING BROADWAY FIRST (HOPEFULLY NOT A NEW TREND)
I have been reading all over theater websites, such as broadway.com and playbill.com, that the Tony Award winning Musical MEMPHIS is going to be filmed live and shown in theaters while STILL being performed on BROADWAY. This has never been done before. I am not sure how I feel about this. It is obvious why it has never been done before, because if people can just go a see Broadway Musical on film it could take away from the overall interest in seeing it truly performed live. On the one hand, getting the opportunity to see MEMPHIS on film is kind of exciting. On the other hand, NOTHING compares to the insane rush of seeing a musical live, (which is why even if I saw it on film, I still try and see it live in NY or catch the tour). Also, as a performer I LOVE hearing the roar of an audience. It is absolutely AMAZING. Therefore I would hate it Broadway shows lost audience members because people could just see the film instead. I really wonder how other people feel. How many would still go see a live show in person if it was showing in theaters AT THE SAME TIME? I guess if it remains a rare occurrence, it's alright. However I don't think it should be come a trend. I mean, that why Shows go on Tour, so people who can't see a show open in NY can see it live when it comes to their Hometown. If this is being done because movie tickets are cheaper than Show tickets and the goal is present the Musical to people who cannot afford Show tickets, I totally understand; But then again, Show tickets could also become cheaper, if that's the case. I am really a bit conflicted about this. . .so feel free to way in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment